Friday, April 16, 2010

What's Stopping You from Reaching Your Goals... Or Getting Started?

Our motto in bootcamp is to be "unstoppable"... We chant it after every work out. Usually afterward I do feel like I might just be unstoppable... ready to conquer the world... or at least another day at the office. So it got me wondering, what is it that makes us feel "stoppable" some times and what can we do to make sure we always have that feeling of being "unstoppable" when it comes to our weight loss goals?


We all have our vices...our weaknesses, our reservations and fears. Do you have a hard time keeping your diet in check... do you have lack of time or motivation to exercise? Or are you really just making excuses?

I wanted to make this post brief but I'd like you to share something in the comments section... don't worry you can post anonymously if you want! Talk about anything that you might be struggling with in your diet or exercise and maybe together we can talk you through it and find a way to break past it. :)

I'll start with mine... I plateau and it frustrates the hell out of me. I've been teetering on the edge of 85lbs of weight loss for a month now and today the scale was up a pound. I exercise just as much if not more than ever... Soccer season is in full swing and I'm playing 2-3 games a weekend (which means I'm sprinting like crazy up and down that field) I do 3 days of boot camp workouts a week and I run 1 other day. That's 6 days of intense exercise, and sometimes I feel like it's not enough! But my weight is still staying nice and even, and I beat myself up because I work so hard and see no results at all! Then to see the scale go up on top of it makes me want to throw my hands up in the air and scream! I don't want to work out 7 days a week because rest is important too to avoid injury, and sometimes I'm too tired after work to add a second work out in the evening. I don't know what else its going to take, what else I need to do to push myself that extra step?!

I'm concerned with my braces that I'm not getting enough of a balanced diet but it hurts to chew sometimes and I'm also not allowed to eat really crunchy foods, so I haven't been eating as much salad as I used to. Maybe I need to redouble my efforts on my diet again and give something up?

Ok now it's your turn! Please share... it helps to vent...trust me :)

2 comments:

Dangrdafne said...

I'm pretty sure if I exercised that much and "gained weight" I would go with it is muscle mass but I am not positive about that.

My problem is and always has been stress eating. I don't even do it to comfort myself, I just do it when I am stressed which is, oh, about 90% of the time.

The new thing I have noticed is that on the weekend when I am doing laundry, I have to walk through the kitchen every time to check on the wash. And every time I walk through, I go to the cupboard or the fridge and I eat something. Even writing this right now I can see myself doing it. And that one I can't explain. Thoughts?


wv: oboodd - O Boo DD for not sticking to your diet. DD is my short version of Dangrdafne that people use on the blogs :)

Team Six Pack said...

Hey DD!
Hrm... well my suggestion is to maybe make a note of every time you grab a snack for a week and what that snack is and how much of it you eat, just so you can get a visual of that number. It might help you to break the habit if you actually see how often and much you're consuming. You'd be surprised how quickly those calories add up! My entire life was mindless eating up until 2 years ago. You really have to make yourself aware of what you're putting in your body and sometimes seeing is believing ;) --If you don't feel like keeping a journal maybe just keep track by making hash marks on a dry erase board or the calendar...anything to give you a visual.

My other suggestion is that you also stock the cabinets and the fridge with healthy snacks! Instead of potato chips snack on air popped popcorn or baked corn or multi-grain tortilla chips and salsa (salsa is a very healthy snack it's all veges!) Instead of cookies try granola bars, or even a handful of granola or nuts like almonds, peacans or walnuts (remember only a handful they're high in fats but it's better fats than the oil in potato chips).

Instead of ice cream keep vanilla or plain yogurt and unsweetened apple sauce in the fridge (the fruit is sweet enough on it's own you don't need the added sugar add a little bit of cinnamon and it's a tasty treat :)).

Also keep fruits veges handy oranges, apples, grapes, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes little things you can grab and pop for a snack. I also like to snack on string cheese because it's quick to grab and pre-portioned!

Hope that helps :)

(and i'm really hoping that i'm still burning fat and just building more muscle so the scale isn't moving for that reason!)