Tuesday, August 18, 2009

10,000 Steps

Here's a little info from the National Institute of Health:

How many steps/day are enough?

Based on currently available evidence, we propose the following preliminary indices be used to classify pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:

(i). Less than 5000 steps/day may be used as a 'sedentary lifestyle index';

(ii). 5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered 'low active';

(iii). 7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered 'somewhat active'; and

(iv). Greater than or = to 10000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as 'active'. Individuals who take greater than 12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as 'highly active'.

Guess what? I agreed to join my office's relay team for the upcoming Baltimore Marathon in October. That means that I need to train and condition myself to get up to running a minimum of 6 miles because each leg of the relay is about 6.5 to 7 miles. So far I've only ran 3 miles straight on a track.

I am definitely not a distance runner. I play soccer so that means I'm conditioned more for short bursts of running over a long period of time instead of running at a steady pace. Running on a track and soccer field is also very different from running on the streets. Tracks and fields are flat flat flat. Not the case for everywhere else. So I have a lot of work ahead of me, but this is a goal I really want to meet! It might be one of those fitness milestone where I look back and say "Wow! I can't believe I finished! I would have never done this a year ago!" I *WANT* to be able to say that!

I went out and got fitted for new running shoes this weekend since my old pair are on their way out. Once again Brooks brand running shoes offered me the best support better than Nike, Asics, Saucony or New Balance...too bad I have to wait until next pay check before I can pick up my new pair of Brooks!

But don't take my promotion of Brooks as gospel there's a shoe out there for everyone, Brooks just happen to be the best for me. If you want some more advice on running shoes Read my previous post about the right kind of work out clothes and tips for shoes!

I left the store with few other little accessories instead. There's a local running store, Charm City Run, that was really informative about their gear...you could tell the ladies working there were runners and loved everything about running. Plus I learned a thing or two from them as well.

Apparently the socks are just as important as shoes!

I already knew that I liked to wear arch hugging socks when I played soccer underneath my soccer socks. My cleats are pretty flat (I think I need to replace those too) and it was just a little extra bit of support for me. But what I didn't know is that you want to avoid 100% cotton socks! The cotton doesn't wick away the moisture and you have more of a chance of getting blisters because of that. So you want to get a poly-blend sock instead.

Check out these Runner's World's articles on the Best socks for running:




My next accessory was a water bottle with a handle. Have you ever tried running carrying a water bottle? It's pretty awkward. So I got myself one of these:


Its smaller than my other sports bottles, but it'll keep me hydrated or at least keep my mouth and throat from drying out. Plus it's got a handy little zipper pouch for my keys and ID. Perfect! Retail - on average $17.00.


And last but not least! Like Kellan Lutz Previously suggested... I got myself a Pedometer!

Timex Pedometer - retail average $19.00.

I needed this because I wanted to know how many steps I really take around the office all day (It's 1:30P.M. I put this thing on before I left for work this morning. So far I've only gone 1183 steps, office jobs really are sedentary). However, I plan on bumping up those numbers big time after work by going for a run and my new handy dandy pedometer will let me know how far I've ran...

Hopefully I'll make it to 10,000 steps or roughly 4 miles!
Maybe you can add 2,000 more steps a day to your routine?
A little more than 2,000 steps on average = 1 mile!



No comments: