Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Favorite Healthy Snacks

I  want to share with you some of my favorite healthy snacks to nibble on in between meals or as part of a meal....




Apples!! I freakin' LOVE apples! 
When they're in season, I swear I could live off them, most days I literally do eat an apple a day. Currently this apple season I have been enjoying cameo apples, gala, and fuji YUM!!!

Apples: 1 Medium (2-3/4" dia)= roughly 80 calories!

Cascade Fresh Yogurt

I prefer this brand of yogurt above all others. I discovered it when I first started my portion control diet at my local health foods store. I love yogurt, but a lot of the flavored yogurts are pretty high in calories. Cascade Fresh is sweetened with fruit juice instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners you might find in other brand of low cal/low fat yogurt. It's creamy and it really does taste like the name describes, fresh!

One 6 oz. container of cascade fresh is 110 calories!

Read more about this brand and where to buy on their website: cascadefresh.com


Almonds!

I carry around a small container of almonds (dry roasted unsalted) in my purse so I always have a healthy snack option. I'm not saying I necessary always opt for the almonds lol, but at least the option is there and I do love me some tasty almonds. I actually wrote an entire post about nuts and how even though some might think they're high in fat...they're better for you than the majority of the fatty foods out there.

1 oz of almonds (about 22 kernels) = 169.2 Calories




Cheese Sticks, nom nom nom!

Why in stick form? Because it's already portioned out for you and easy to grab when you're on the go. I haven't had either of these brands personally, I usually shop at trader joe's who sells their own brand of both of these products. Here is the nutrition information for Trader Joe's brand:

1 Trader Joe's Light Part Skim Mozzarella String Cheese = 60 Calories
1 Trader Joe's Mild Cheddar Cheese Stick = 80 Calories


Chocolate!!!

Who doesn't love chocolate! I chose this product because they come in small .35 oz servings and I just buy them one at a time if I'm craving a little something sweet. This chocolate is TASTY! It's so much better than your run of the mill Hershey's bar. Just look past the whole bug bites thing, there are no bugs in the chocolate. Endangered Species Chocolate donates 10% of net profits to help support endangered species, habitat and humanity. Who knew eating a little chocolate could be good for the environment ;)

Their chocolates are Kosher and Gluten Free and the dark chocolate bar I snacked on today is also vegan (for our vegan friends with a sweet tooth :D)

One .35 oz Milk Chocolate Bar = 52.5 Calories
One .35 oz Dark Chocolate Bar = 50 Calories

Learn more about this company and where to get their products at chocolatebar.com


So there you have it!


Snack healthy my friends!



2 comments:

Endangered Species Chocolate said...

Dreaming of nibbling a square of Organic Dark Chocolate Bug Bites while Edward nibbles on my neck.

Ok, popping out of my daydream to thank you for mentioning Endangered Species Chocolate Bug Bites as part of your healthful diet. Dark chocolate, in a perfect portion, is rich enough to satisfy ones desire for something scrumptious.

Keep on your path to healthly living! We love the fact that you're using Twilight as motivation and inspiration.

-Monica Erskine
Senior Customer Service Rep (aka Chocolate Goddess)
Endangered Species Chocolate

Team Six Pack said...

Hi Monica!
Haha oh man! why didn't I think to equate eating your delicious chocolate to Edward nibbling on your neck! lol that was perfect.

I'm very glad that the health foods store just across the way from my job carries your products and I'm glad I decided to try out a bug bite on a whim one day when I was craving a little chocolate. It's melt in your mouth delicious and I eat it nice and slow and then the chocolate cravings are gone.

I'd totally buy an entire box off your website, but it would be a bad idea for me to have a lot of these easily available so I just buy one at a time!


Thanks for commenting on my blog and for making tasty treats!!

Laura